Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Bountiful Figs Forum

There is a new and really nice place for fig lovers to gather, learn, show & tell all about figs.  You will find the link over there on the right.  Bountiful Figs!  Come join us and bring your fig pictures!

So here is a reply to one of my postings in Bountiful Figs by Susie.  Will have to try her recipe...

"charlie , nice tea blog. which varieties smell like cat pee? i've never smelled that on figs.
i'll try your recipe, but i think you probably make it too strong if you need a sweetener.
for myself, i add some leaves to cold water n bring it to a bare simmer. then i remove immediately from the heat. i find this pleasant with no sweetening.
it's even better with a little green tea, added for 30 seconds at the end."

Now about some of my fig leaves having a cat pee odor.  Others like Susie who lives in a dry, hot climate do not notice any cat pee odor.  Others have written about the odor.  Perhaps it is a humidity issue?  I may never know.

When I first was considering getting fig trees, my brother-in-law told me that his brother dug up a whole fig tree because it smelled like cat pee.  I just figured some wild cat had been using it for a marking post.  Seriously have doubts any cat could get close enough to my trees to do such a thing with Vader the wonder dog on watch...

Enough about cat pee fig leaf odors.  Once they dry there is only a wonderful scent of vanilla-cinnamon like, best as I can describe them.

Oh I have to show my first ever ripe Hardy Chicago fig!  This delicious little jewel was hiding under a leaf and I was very fortunate to have found it just in time...

   
Best fig ever!  Well it was my very first ripe fig and I am most surely looking forward to coming years and many varieties.  

This blog will also be about figs in case anyone thought it was only going to be about fig leaves for tea.  That's all for now, fig-nite. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated prior to approval.